About Me

I am a K-6 school counselor. I truly love my job and try to use my time wisely to teach important life lessons! I started this blog to share the ideas that I have obtained from others and have created to continue inspiring and keeping our students interested.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

First Week Back





Back to school in full force! Last week, we hosted a Welcome Back to School Assembly. During the assembly we informed students of our school mascot and school wide expectations. Most importantly, we explained what expectations are! One of the expectations we practiced was the auditorium. Procedures, such as entering, exiting, and clapping. As a reward, the students were read a letter from a mysterious person and then to guess who it was from. Without hesitation, the students screamed GeRRRy (our SWPBIS mascot) and out he came. The money our staff raised to get the mascot costume was so worth it. The kids were amazed and so excited, as were we. The assembly was also an opportunity for the students to meet our staff members, new and old.

 The rest of the week consisted of teaching expectations of all areas within the school. This is an important first step in implementing SWPBIS with fidelity. Luckily, we have staff that really support and understand the plan, so we were able to teach 80% of the lessons to all classrooms this past week. This is a HUGE task, but worth it if done correctly. There is no guessing game for how to behave within the building, it is TAUGHT.

 In addition to teaching lessons and taking care of beginning of the year paperwork, phone calls, nervous students, I was able to host two lunch bunches for new students. I meet the new students by grade. This is one of my favorite tasks as a counselor, being that I was once a new student. I remember wondering if any staff knew that I was a new student, and being concerned with acclimating myself. I want students to feel appreciated and welcomed, as well as taken care of. The students receive an invitation to have lunch in my office. We do introductions, and then play the question game. Each person in the group has to ask a question as a way to get to know more about each other. After the question is asked, each student provides an answer. After, the students complete this worksheet that I found on pinterest. I took their picture and will put the picture and worksheet on the wall introducing our new students! I also gave them a note, mint, and bookmark in a baggy. I hope they feel a part of our school and know who they can come to if they are in need! .

No comments:

Post a Comment