About Me

I am a K-6 school counselor. I truly love my job and try to use my time wisely to teach important life lessons! I started this blog to share the ideas that I have obtained from others and have created to continue inspiring and keeping our students interested.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Crisis Counseling...how do you prepare?

This week, there was a school wide crisis situation at a nearby school.  I, along with other counselors were asked to be on hand for the students at the school.  When I first heard, of course I was ready to help and support the students and school.  But.....what did I need?  I thought about what I needed to help these students, but I realized that it was just me!  However, I decided to bring a couple of tools with me.  This was my crisis carry on:

Colored paper
Crayons/markers
Calm Jar
Squeeze Ball
Tissues
Water

Overall, the most beneficial tool was my ear and shoulder.  I also used solution-focused techniques to focus on what the students to could do in the here and now.  They spoke about memories and a project that they wanted to start in remembrance of the person they lost.  We spoke about music and developed a list of songs to listen to that would comfort them in their time of grief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment