About Me

I am a K-6 school counselor. I truly love my job and try to use my time wisely to teach important life lessons! I started this blog to share the ideas that I have obtained from others and have created to continue inspiring and keeping our students interested.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rudolph and Bullying


I have had a lot of bullying incidents occur in the 3rd and 4th grade.  I decided to do a lesson created by Danielle at School Counselor Blog, which by the way was my counselor bible my first year! I made this into a two part lesson.  To start, I scheduled a time with the teachers for all of the students to watch the video.  I had a showing for all 3rd grade, and one for all 4th grade.  I created a powerpoint of focus questions for each scene that I showed.  I had to watch Rudolph all the way through and determine the scenes of most importance.  I have included the scenes and times incase you want to show it.  There is a lot of bullying that takes place in the movie!

Here is the lesson plan with ASCA standards included:


School Counseling Lesson Plan 
Character Traits: Responsibility and Courage 
Two Lesson Unit 
Lesson 1

Title: Bullying                           Grades: 3-4

Summary:  Students will identify forms of bullying, and have group discussions about empathy, strategies for helping a victim, ramifications of bullying, and celebrating differences.

Objectives
A:A3.5 Share knowledge
PS:A1.6 Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior
PS:A2.3 Recognize, accept, respect, and appreciate individual differences
PS:C1.6 Identify resource people in the school and community, and how to seek their help
PS:A2.8 Learn how to make and keep friends

Materials Needed
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Projector

Procedure
Students will watch specified clips of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Students will be prompted to answer questions regarding these clips.  The clips will identify bullying, empathy, ways to help in a bully situation, and ramifications of bullying.

Closure/Evaluation
-       Students will complete a worksheet in their classrooms

dAnd here is the Rudolph scene list:

1   1st Scene 4:00- 6:52 Rudolph, Santa, and his parents

S  2nd Scene 7:34-9:38 4:00 Hermey and Rudolph

3    3rd Scene 15:03-19:30 Reindeer games

4   4th Scene: 21:23-23:30 Seems we don't fit in song


5  5 th  Scene: 30:26- Land of Misfit toys  34:08 (finish song) or 35:15 (promise from Santa) land misfit toys

6    6th  Scene 40:00-ending

f
   I have attached the worksheet that the students had to complete.


I   I will post about the second part of the lesson soon!



   



No comments:

Post a Comment